You Are Here
London has some of the world’s most famous cultural institutions. In a crowded marketplace of over 300 museums, the challenge is to create a campaign that stands out.
An investment of £20 million to create spectacular new interactive galleries was the driving force for a major relaunch campaign for The Museum of London.
The Campaign had to connect with as many people as possible in a period of only a few weeks and with a modest media budget, which was a real challenge.
What we did
Few cities can match London’s amazing history and people. Our campaign set out to bring stories from the past instantly into the present.
At the heart of our idea was the thrill of standing in the same spot where a historical event took place. Working closely with experts at the museum we trawled the archive looking for memorable images from London’s past which would resonate with modern Londoners.
How we did it
The campaign appeared across Greater London for one month and included;
- London Underground 48 and 12 sheet posters
- Site specific installations
- Advertisements in London papers and magazines
- Marketing collateral including leaflets, invites, postcards
- Materials for the Museum’s varied stakeholders, such as press and PR launch materials.
- The opening week saw an all-time record amount of visitors, over twice the Museum’s target
- Visitor figures for the 12 months after the launch have been 94% higher than the previous year, and 20% higher than forecasted
- Won the Visit London Best Campaign Award for the launch of the Galleries
- Commended Design Week Benchmark Awards 2010
- Won Gold in the Branding Campaign category at the American Art Directors Club awards
- Won in Not for Profit Design category at The Blades awards 2011
- Won Gold at the Design Business Association Design Effectiveness Awards 2011